The city of Cedar Rapids continues to closely monitor river levels and work with the National Weather Service to ensure appropriate protection measures are in place before the river crests, which is projected to happen on Sunday.
According to the City, activity Tuesday will again be focused on building underground protection measures, including plugging storm sewer drains and utilizing pumps. Crews will also be placing concrete cones over manholes to prevent river backups. Pumps are used to prevent rain water from pooling in streets when the underground storm sewer system has been closed off to the river. As needed, the two permanent pump stations located a Sinclair and NewBo will being pumping rain water back into the river.
Crews have started operating on 24-hour shifts to monitor the system and respond as needed. The Public Works Department will evaluate crest predictions again Wednesday to help determine appropriate levels of protection, based on updated information.
Here’s a list of updated road closures:
• Penn Ave NW from 1st Street to Ellis Blvd
• 1st Street NW from Penn Ave to O Ave
• 2nd St NW from K Ave to L Ave
• Otis Road SE from Cargill to Prairie Park Fishery
• A Street SW from C Street to National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library
• A Street SW from 17th Street to Compost Facility
• Bowling Street SW from C Street to A Street
At this time, the City is not opening a sandbagging station.