CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (KWWL) – The Cedar Falls Public Safety Department were sent out to an eighteen-unit apartment building fire on Scenic Drive at 10:48 p.m. on September 11th, 2019.
14 public safety officers and firefighters quickly responded to the fire and kept the flames from spreading. The cause of the fire was an unattended pan on an oven in the apartment which ignited the kitchen cabinets. The building was evacuated and no resident injuries were reported.
“The apartment where the fire started will be out of commission because of damage and possibly the apartments below due to smoke or water,” said Public Safety Director Jeff Olson. “However the rest of the residents should be able to return to their apartments.”
One Cedar Falls firefighter was examined by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation at the scene and then returned to work.
The Cedar Falls Public Safety Department wants to inform residents to always use care when cooking and never leave a pan unattended on an active stovetop.