A Grant County, Wisconsin family is finally getting some answers.
In 2015, when Liam Young was two years old, he had to have his fingers and toes amputated after almost loosing his life to a medical mystery.
What started as flu-like symptoms, quickly turned into something much worse. Liam was rushed to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
He was put into a medically-induced coma and put on a ventilator. Doctors believed some type of infection was attacking his body.
Now, research performed through Brigham Genomic Medicine may provide some answers as to what happened to Liam.
They say it’s possible bacteria from dog saliva caused a rare infection.
According to the CDC, Capnocytophaga canimorsus can be found in health dogs and cats. It’s usually found in the saliva of most dogs and it is usually not harmful.
There are rare cases, where the bacteria can enter the bloodstream and cause a serious infection. Researchers believe this may be what happened to Liam.
They say Liam has a “genetic variant” that predisposed him to Capnocytophaga canimorsus. They are still doing research and have not come to a final conclusion at this time.
If you would like to learn more about Liam Young, click here to follow the Facebook Page, Updates on Liam Young.
Liam has some big plans for the future, and has already done so much to give back.
According to his Facebook Page, Liam was able to help deliver 80 gift bags to patients at the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
The gifts bags were filled with an autographed die cast model skid steer, a picture of departments 151&158 SSL teams, and a letter from the John Deere team.