DES MOINES, Iowa (KWWL) -- If you're looking to explore one of Iowa's 62 state parks this year, you'll soon be eligible for prizes.
The Iowa Tourism Office and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources are announcing updates to the popular passport program, which encourages people to track their state park visits in a fun, engaging way.
“2021 has been declared the Year of the Road Trip, and Iowa is ready to be at the center of it all,” State tourism manager Amy Zeigler said. “Our state parks provide the perfect opportunity to hop in the car or on the bike and embark on the road to adventure.”
Last year, the agencies recorded nearly 30,000 check-ins at parks across the Hawkeye State.
Starting May 28, you can win prizes and giveaways by simply visiting and checking in to a state park. As you visit more parks, you're eligible for more prizes.
- First 1,000 people with 10 check-ins earn a 2021 Iowa State Park Passport t-shirt
- Check in to 30 parks for a chance to win one of four Fitbit activity trackers
- Every check-in is an entry into monthly Endless Adventures Prize Packs:
- June – Paddleboard and water sport accessories
- July – Camping tent and accessories
- August – Hammock and picnic accessories
- September – Yeti cooler set
- October – $500 Bass Pro Shops gift card
To sign up for your free passport, visit: https://www.traveliowa.com/passport/
You can also text PARKS to 515-531-5995.
Tourism in Iowa generates nearly $9 billion in expenditures and $517.5 million in state taxes, while also employing more than 70,000 people statewide, according to the agencies.