A natural gas explosion leveled one eastern Iowa home Monday, the blast damaging many other homes nearby. One injury, a Dubuque firefighter, was reported.
Many were allowed back into Wednesday at 2 p.m., according to city housing authorities. As folks made their way back to their homes, KWWL was granted a new look at the explosion, and at the damage it caused.
Jill Milford's windows were broken by the force of the explosion across the street. Milford says her house now has other structural damage, too: wall hangings fell, revealing cracked walls and loose moldings.
Milford has begun cleaning up, but on Wednesday shards of glass lay collected in tubs that dot her home.
Milford's home security cameras show what the blast looked like from her front porch. As the gas continued to leak, authorities asked residents to stay put as utilities crews tried to mitigate the leak.
John Ohnesorge owns the Southend Tap in Dubuque. He says he felt the blast clear across the river in East Dubuque. Ohnesorge learned, to his relief, that the family made it out of their house safely, then he got an update from them via social media.
"They only had the clothes on their back," Ohnesorge said.
After deliberating with fellow staff, he hatched a plan to help. On October 6, the bar plans to hold a fundraiser.
"We're just going to donate all the proceeds from the bar to them," Ohnesorge said.
The fundraiser runs from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. the night of October 6.