DUBUQUE, Iowa. (KWWL) --- Authorities have revealed which crew hit the gas line, causing it to leak, prompting a house to explode and hours-long fire containment effort that followed.
"Price Electric is the contractor who was digging in the area," Chief Rick Steines said. "For some fiber optic conduit -- I believe, and that's more than likely how they struck the main."
Dubuque first responders confirmed that the Price Crew called the leak in. Dubuque Fire and Police responded promptly, and personnel from Black Hills, the natural gas service arrived a time afterward.
Chief Steines says the investigation is ongoing, and these findings are yet to be finalized.
A stretch of Loras Boulevard is still closed between Bluff St. and Dell St. due to emergency gas main repair work.
Homeowners and renters told KWWL that they are stuck with what they could carry, some staying in hotels, some staying with friends and family, while they wait for their homes to be inspected, then restored to habitable conditions.
Dubuque Housing and Community Development say they are forcing landlords to a 48-hour timeline to get the houses habitable once more.