Skip to Content

Marion emergency crews respond to overnight house fires caused by open flames during power outages

poster - 2020-08-12T180809.300
poster - 2020-08-12T180822.445

MARION, Iowa (KWWL) -- The Marion Fire Department is offering important safety reminders after they responded to two house fires overnight.

Both fires were suspected to be caused by open flames that were being used as a light source during the power outage.

Crews responded to 905 South 6th Street Tuesday night and extinguished the fire within an hour after locating. There was no one inside the home at the time and no injuries were reported, but officials say the home is likely a total loss.

Marion Fire Department responded to a second fire at 777 Third Avenue early Wednesday morning, which was also extinguished within an hour of crews arriving. No one was home and no injuries have been reported. This home is also likely to be declared a total loss.

The fire deparment is now offering important safety reminders:

  • Do not have a burning flame within three feet of combustibles (any item that can burn)
  • Make sure the candle or lamp is not on a plastic surface
  • Do not leave an open flame unattended
  • Make sure the flame is completely out before leaving the room and no longer producing smoke
  • If possible, use battery-powered or solar-powered lighting
  • If you have pets, please try to avoid using open flames

Officials also remind you to protect the area around fire hydrants. They said you should try to keep yard waste or debris away from them. There should be a three-foot clearance on all sides.

Author Profile Photo

Olivia Schmitt

Morning Anchor

Skip to content