Skip to Content

UPDATE: Police say Moment told them “he could not breathe” before seizure, investigation to be done in 90 days

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

UPDATE: Court documents show that Yoosuf Moment, who was arrested Friday in Dubuque, told officers “he couldn't breathe” before he began seizing.

Officers used pepper spray to subdue Moment when he resisted arrest. The department says no other force was used.

An investigation into the arrest was launched over the weekend into the incident as video surfaced online. That internal investigation is set to take no more than 90 days with progress reports every 30 days. It's possible the investigation could be extended but all parties involved would have to be notified.

None of the officers involved have changed shifts, duties, or positions since the incident. They continue to serve the city.

Watch the video of the arrest below. Be warned it does contain a number of expletives throughout and shows when Moment begins to have what appears to be a seizure.

DUBUQUE, Iowa (KWWL) -- Dubuque police are reviewing video of an arrest that happened Friday night.

In a Facebook post, the department acknowledged that videos of the arrest were circulating around social media. They are reviewing dashcam footage, body camera footage, and videos taken by the public as they investigate the incident.

Yoosuf Moment, 41, of Dubuque was taken into custody following a traffic stop. Police say the vehicle Moment was driving had no plates and was known to be Barred from driving in the state.

Police say Moment resisted arrest and pepper spray was used to subdue him and secure his arms. The post states that no other force was used.

While being detained, Moment presented seizure like symptoms, which is when the department says officers requested an emergency response from an ambulance.

The video, posted by Dubuque in Pursuit News on Facebook, shows Moment seizing. Be advised, Moment is clearly having a medical issue and there are expletives said by many off camera.

Moment was treated at the scene and then tranpsorted to a local hospital. Once he was treated and released, police took him back into custody. He's charged with Driving While Barred and Interference of Official Acts.

Police note that a 17 year-old male was also in the vehicle. He was also taken into custody for Interference with Official Acts and poessession of more than once ounce of marijuana. He was released to a parent.

Author Profile Photo

Taylor Vessel

Multimedia Reporter

Skip to content