DUBUQUE, Iowa. (KWWL) - Beginning Wednesday, July 1, leashed dogs and cats will be permitted in most Dubuque parks, parkways, trails and open spaces.
There are a number of exceptions. Dogs and cats are NOT allowed in the following areas:
- Buildings or facilities within parks which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Bunker Hill Golf Course
- Eagle Point Park
- Flora Park Swimming Pool
- Marshall Park and Dubuque Arboretum and Botanical Gardens
- Murphy Park
- Nicholas J. Sutton Swimming Pool
- Veterans Memorial Plaza within the Gerald “Red” McAleece Park and Recreation Complex
- Fenced-in sporting areas, including, but not limited to, courts, fields, rinks, arenas, and skate parks, and on playground and recreational areas designed for use by children
Any unleashed or unattended animal in a park, parkway, trail, or open space will be impounded.
Unleashed dogs are permitted in the Pet Park.
They are also allowed at John G. Bergfeld Recreation Area ponds, but only when an owner or keeper is working or exercising a dog by tossing a retrieval dummy or other object into a pond for out-and-back exercise.
At all other times the dog must be leashed at the Bergfeld Recreation Area.