Skip to Content

Grilling materials contribute to Cedar Rapids apartment fire

Cedar Rapids (KWWL) -- Cedar Rapids Fire Department officials said grilling materials contributed to an unintentional Sunday night apartment fire.

Firefighters responded to the 3200 block of Pioneer Avenue SE around 10:15 p.m.

All apartment tenants were able to get out and no one was hurt.

Fire officials said an unknown number of occupants were displaced, but the Red Cross did provide shelter for six occupants.

Firefighters said they saw heavy smoke and flames coming from a third story apartment and roof.

The fire was quickly brought under control.

There is severe damage to the apartment where the fire started and there is moderate damage to other units.

Fire officials said those living in the apartment, where the fire started, had been grilling out on the deck a couple hours before the fire.

Jordan Thomas

News Content Producer

Skip to content