Skip to Content

Dubuque Fire Department rescues dog in car fire

DUBUQUE, Iowa (KWWL) – Dubuque Fire Department responded to a call of a burning car in the Hy-Vee parking lot on Dodge Street.

When firefighters arrived, they discovered a dog trapped inside of the vehicle. The Fire Department said that its owner left the dog inside of the car alone with the engine running, when the radiator broke, filling the car with steam.

Rick Steines, Chief of Dubuque Fire Department, said that it is never a good idea to leave an animal or person alone in a car, even with the air running.

“I mean, it’s never really a safe deal to have a car running unattended like that,” said Chief Steines.

Police and fire fighters will break a car window if they find an animal or person trapped and distressed.

“We’re obviously worried more about the animal or the person inside of the vehicle rather than the property damage,” said Chief Steines.

There are 29 states that allow bystanders to break a car window if they find a person or an animal trapped inside of a hot car. Iowa, however, is not one of them.

It is always recommended that someone should call 9-1-1 if they see a person or animal in distress.

They dog from the vehicle yesterday is expected to be okay.

Ashley Scott

Reporter, Dubuque

Skip to content